One of Agape’s main aims is to minimise costs and provide trips that are affordable for students. We currently offer some of the best value-for-money volunteering programmes in Africa available. Sadly, however, we aren’t able to offer trips for free and the cost of an Agape adventure may still seem daunting. With that in mind, here are 10 fundraising ideas you might want to consider:
- Clear out your loft, rid your wardrobe of all those clothes you haven't worn for years, and hold a stall at a car boot sale. Alternatively flog them online via sites like eBay or Depop.
- Start a crowdfunding page on social media.
- Hold a raffle. Get in touch with local businesses, explain why you're raising money and ask if they would be willing to donate a prize to your raffle (a meal for two or a round of golf, for example, depending on the business). Sell raffle tickets to your friends, family, and neighbours.
- Organise a quiz night at your university, village hall or local pub. Charge for entry and have a tin for extra donations.
- Set yourself a physical challenge and ask for sponsorship. Run a marathon, do an abseil, or swim in the sea every day for a month.
- Learn how to cook a few cheap but fancy dishes and invite your family and friends round for a posh dinner. Ask that those coming contribute a donation to your trip fund.
- Offer your paid services as a dog walker.
- Hand-wash friends’ cars in exchange for a contribution to your trip fund (make sure the owner has agreed to it first, and soft sponges only!!).
- Spend a day at your local supermarket packing people’s shopping bags with a bucket for donations.
- Organise a good old-fashioned bake sale. Or several!
Ultimately, fundraising doesn’t have to be a chore, it can be a lot of fun. Get your family and friends on board, let them know why you’re doing it and why it’s important to you. Good luck!